Farryl Purkiss is a South African born singer-songwriter. Farryl first picked up the guitar when he was fifteen years old and began writing songs shortly after his sixteenth birthday. He self released an EP in 2005 (Chapter One) that created waves in his home town of Durban and later that year began talks with 2Feet Music. He was signed to 2Feet Music soon after and started performing heavily outside of South Africa leading up to the release of his full length debut album, released in South Africa in 2007, to high acclaim, chart success and award nominations. He has since spent most of his time touring the world playing major festivals such as BIG DAY OUT, BYRON BAY BLUES AND ROOTS FESTIVAL, THE GREAT ESCAPE, OPPIKOPPI, ROCKING THE DAISIES, SPLASHY FEN and the WHITE MOUNTAIN FOLK FESTIVAL to name but a few.
As well as numerous tours supporting artists such as CROWDED HOUSE, FINLEY QUAYE, MISSY HIGGINS and THE VIOLENT FEMMES.
“Fruitbats & Crows” (2009) was the long awaited follow up to Farryl Purkiss’s 2006 internationally critically acclaimed self titled album. The record won a South African Music Award. In the past three years, Purkiss has toured Australia three times, Europe, USA and of course, South Africa. He’s had radio success in all of the above territories including Japan and a #1 in France.. His songs have been used in campaigns by Nissan (Greece), Audi (UK), MTN (South Africa) as well as twice on the American TV show “Private Practice”. In 2007 he was voted the most popular musician by Heat Magazine (South Africa) and has been featured by every major newspaper, magazine, TV show and radio station in South Africa.
He finished his 3rd full length record (Home) in 2013, which was recorded on a farm in the suburb Constantia. It was produced by American producer Kieran Kelly(Sufjan Stevens, Angus & Julia Stone). The album was released to rave reviews and was also nominated for a SAMA award.
The end of 2014 saw Purkiss getting signed abroad, and he has spent the past 2 months recording new songs at The Buddy Project in NYC for his upcoming American release in April 2015.
Besides his records his songs have been used in numerous advertising campaigns, TV series and Motion Pictures.
- 5FM – Top 40 with “Better days“, peaked at #3 with “Ducking and Diving“. (Approx 1.4 Million listeners)
- Highveld 94.7 – Top 10 with “Ducking and Diving” and “Better Days” (Approx 1.1 Million Listeners)
- “La Di Da” and “Sticks and Stones” playlisted on Key AC station, Jacaranda FM (Approx 1.5 Million listeners)
- All key Campus Stations – Top 10 on TuksFM, UJFM, PUK FM, MFM, UCT Radio
- “A Million Grains Of Sand” currently playlisted on stations such as Highveld Stereo, RSG, Campus Stations nationally (combined listenership of approx 4 million)
- “Kissing Devils On The Cheek” currently playlisted on South Africa’s biggest national Top 40 radio station, 5fm. Track was chosen as tastemaker track of the week during the Top 40 show on 20th June 2010 as well as treffer (hit) of the week on 5fm on 14 June 2010. Track is also playlisted on all campus stations as well as regionals.
- “Kissing Devils On The Cheek” music video peaked at #2 on MK, South Africa’s only music video channel specialising in rock/pop after 5 weeks on the chart.